Wednesday, July 05, 2006

What to do with Hamas? Part III

It's been a long time since I posted regarding Hamas (I, II); basically, I advocated a position that the elected officials of any group of people should be regarded as the legitimate governing body of that population regardless of their past history. That is not an easy position to argue when talking about Hamas.

Since then, Hamas has clearly lapsed back into their previous modus operandi. Instead of believing that we need to give them a second chance, they have clearly relapsed into terrorism and kidnapping because they are incapable of being the government they pretended to be. In my opinion the IDF's current operation in Gaza is perfectly justified and a necessity.

Unlike bluke (who, while providing good analysis, is overly pessimistic), I think the current situation is one of strength. I have yet to hear of the world criticizing Israel for their operation, we went in hard, stopped to allow negotiations, and when those failed went back in-all the while maintaining our determination and position of strength. I, like Harry (with whom I agree with on many issues), am very proud of Israel right now.

No comments: