Sunday, May 27, 2007

Al Gore and Why I'd Vote for Him

I was too young to vote in the 2000 Presidential Election but I do remember liking Gore much more than Bush, I don't remember why. What I do remember is thinking that Bush was acting like a whiny 7 year old in contesting the election. That is the past - and I haven't really checked up on Al Gore's actually politics but my initial reaction is that America needs a President who is
1. Presidential
2. Articulate
3. Well Read
4. Trustworthy

For the most part American Politicians have been sorely lacking in these fields for some time. We have a few in the past 40 years that hit on most of these but not all. My gut reaction when I think of Al Gore and the image he's presented himself in the past eight years is all of these things.

I'd almost vote for him on that basis alone. I never expect to find a faultless politician and attempts at mudslinging are just foolish. We are human, not perfect, why do we expect that our leaders are faultless? What we do/should expect from our leaders is that they exemplify what we try to be. We deserve a President who tries his best to do the difficult job a head of him with the most common sense. It isn't a Republican vs. Democrat issue here for me, I'd be just as likely to vote for a Republican fulfilling all of these criteria as a Democrat.

On a side note, I have a relative who has started a "Write in Al Gore" blog.

No comments: