Monday, April 24, 2006

I'll Be There Too

I will be attending the Save Darfur rally this coming Sunday in Washington, DC. Will You?

I have been active in Darfur related events and groups for over a year and a half now and I have to say that I am very impressed by the response the Jewish community has to the crisis in Darfur. Unlike many social issues of the past the entire community has come together, a statement of unity that has not happened for many years – likely not since the Soviet Jewry crisis. Orthodox, Conservative, Reform, and Reconstructionist all have links on their web pages speaking about the necessity of Jewish support.

Interestingly, the OU nearly calls it a mitzvah (I would). It is times like these that makes me think that achdus can be a reality.

"In a free society where terrible wrongs exist, some are guilty, all are responsible" ~ Abraham Joshua Heschel

I am leading a group of elementary to High School students (and their parents) to the Holocaust Museum and then on the rally. I don’t think that it was planned but the timing (5 days after Yom HaShoa) really places the genocide into perspective.

So, will you be there?

No comments: