Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Shechita Pictures

One of my "interests" is shechita, I don't think I would ever do it, but I like to really know what goes on. I came across this website (graphic) which shows a step-by-step trip to a slaughterhouse. It is graphic, but also very informative; complete with Shulchan Aruch references. I don't know enough about Shechita to understand all the halachot but I get the general idea for most of the actions.

While I'm on the subject of Shechita, the Rubashkin's shechita scandal has been bothering me for a long time. I'll post more about it at a later time, but I did ask a friend (a Rav) of mine who is a shochet and mentioned that nothing in the PETA video is "wrong". Just old fashioned or using leniencies that he would advise against. Okay, maybe it isn't treif, but I still won't eat it.

No comments: