Tuesday, January 10, 2006

On Sharon, Prime Ministers, and Presidents

I love Dry Bones always have, always will. This one really gets at what I've had in the back of my mind for a while.
What are we supposed to do now? Ariel Sharon has been able to unify the country like nobody else (well...okay it's been a while) and those that don't like him at least respect him. The founders are gone (Peres doesn't count, nobody really liked him anyway), Israel needs to rely on the 2nd generation for its leaders from now on.

I see very few people who can step up and take the lead.
Bibi? He had his chance.
Peretz? Maybe, but I doubt it. Labor isn't the force it once was.
Omert? I think this is the most likely option, but not a great one either.

I see a lot of parallels between Israeli Prime Ministers and the American Presidency. The first seven Presidents (Washington, Adams, Jefferson, Madison, Monroe, JQ Adams, Jackson) founded and fought the physical and political wars necessary to start a nation. Israel had that too. After Jackson American did not have a good President until Lincoln, a drought of 24 years.

Sadly, I think Israel is going into a drought. The last of the founders has left public office (I pray for a
refua shelma) Israel needs someone to step up whose willing to make decisions and not let mediocrity become the status quo.

No comments: